The services generally relate to support to decision making concerning the introduction of new products or services by commercial organisations or support for new products or services by institutions. One or more of the following activities might be involved:
- Market analysis. An example might be an analysis of the market for a new product or service or an analysis of the current status of the overall satellite communication market.
- Market surveys. Surveys using web-based, telephone or face-to-face interviews for data gathering can be carried out.
- Competitor analysis. This could involve analysis of the potential competition for a new product or service.
- Strategic planning. The results of the market and competitor analysis might be used together with SWOT analyses and pricing strategies to determine strategies for positioning of the product or service to maximise competitive advantage. It could also include examination of strategies for acquisition of technologies to improve competitive advantage and evaluation of the risks associated with the strategies.
- Business case analysis. Outputs of the market analyses and pricing strategies might be used in an analysis of the potential return on investment and sensitivity analyses made of the impact of variation in costs and revenues.